Monday 7 January 2013

Stop Slut Shaming!

   Today I went on my FaceBook and saw a girl I know post that her school was full of 'sluts', and mentioned wearing skirts and girls who look like sluts as a result. This sparked my desire to write about this again, and I know there has been a lot of posts and vlogs about this recently, some of which I agree with and some of which I disagree with, I'll post some video links below. Women, as a gender have a really rough time of things, in the media and with social perceptions of 'perfect', and I really don't think we need to make things harder for each other by hating on other girls!

   Ladies, I want you to think about a time when you've seen another girl, in public, on TV, in a magazine...wherever, and you've thought to yourself "she looks like a slut" or something similar, if you've made comments on her looks, her hair, her clothes or her makeup, judging her solely on these features. Now I want you to look at yourself and think what other girls might say about you, and I want you to think how unfounded their comments would be...you're a nice person, right? You have a wonderful personality and people just need to get to know you, right? Bam.

   Not one female in this world is totally secure with themselves, some people more secure than others...sure. But everyone has hangups about something, and trust me you are your own worst critic. But honestly, the last thing anyone needs is hating on for something as trivial as appearance or promiscuity, especially not from other girls...we all need to support each other, we all know what we're going through more than anyone else ever could, so why are we hating on each other so much?

   Also, if a girl wants to be with more than one sexual partner or a lot of sexual partners, that is totally fine, as long, of course she is being safe. It is not one persons place to judge someone else's sex life. Your body, your choice! It is not important how many people someone has slept with in their life.

   So basically what I'm saying is stop the girl hate, it's not cool. And I'm not saying I'm innocent of judging another girl or saying horrible things about her before knowing anything about her, but it's my new years resolution to be more aware of what I'm saying about someone. Let's look after each other ladies, yeah?

Elizabeth x

Laci Green puts what I'm saying in a more wonderful way here:
http://youtu.be/1t0UvvYs3AE

And Jenna Marbles (disappointingly) showcases exactly what we shouldn't be doing.
http://youtu.be/EU20JnsYiXc

Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment